DAY ONE
I started April's menu the day before we ate it be making the cake.
I looked into buying egg whites instead of a carton of eggs, but the plain old eggs were cheaper. However, after cracking a dozen eggs those egg whites were looking pretty good!
Finally done with the messy, egg cracking part.
Here are my eggs at the foamy stage
And my extracts. I really need to buy a good almond extract to go with my vanilla.
The cake pre baking
This is my chicken after I gave it a good pounding with the meat tenderizer.
And my first ever attempt at homemade breadcrumbs. What a pain! The stale bread just didn't get crushed fine enough. And it left a powdery film everywhere. Urgh. The not stale bread was a lot cleaner to deal with, but it still didn't get as fine as I wanted it. I think despite the rants against store bought crumbs I will stick to it next time around! At least panko crumbs.
Here's my cake. I think I pulled it out a few minutes too early... but it still tastes good.
DAY TWO
My chicken was flat and had marinated over night. My breadcrumbs were ready. My cake was baked. All I had to do was coat and fry the chicken and make the veggies.
Look at those knife skills.
I have grated ginger in a little jar, but I decided to go with fresh.
And here's the final product. (Yeah, the breading on the chicken mostly stayed in the pan...). WARNING! Watch the oil. I felt like both recipes called for too much oil. The chicken and veggies were greasy. Way greasy. I liked the flavors of both things, but next time I'm eye-ing how much grease I use to cook and it wont be nearly as much!! Also, I knew those stupid homemade breadcrumbs weren't worth it. Next time I will use panko crumbs and keep the rest of the recipe the same.
Mr. #2 wasn't sure about the celery salt flavor. I loved it! You might try cutting it in half if you're not sure. The few crunchy bits we had were lovely.
I think this is a keeper menu (well, maybe not the veggies since it's a bit of work for something my husband wont eat) but I have to make it again with a few tweaks.


















No comments:
Post a Comment