This post has been in the works for some time now ... and finally it is finished! Enjoy :)
I looked back at all the menus we complied last year. There are some great memories there, particularly of being together to make the some of them!
I looked back at all the menus we complied last year. There are some great memories there, particularly of being together to make the some of them!
I created a 'best of ' list by pulling one or two things from each month. The reasons are different, but they all stood out to me for a reason. Here goes:
April: Apple Turnovers.
I chose these because they have become a staple at our house. In fact, we made some of these just two days ago. They are so handy to have in your freezer; I've pulled them out as dessert for last minute company more than once. They are also a wonderful dessert for one, which happens frequently around here.
May: Mini Lasagnas with Corn (and sausage).
I chose these because after the addition of turkey sausage they were a hit! Another recipe that can be made ahead and frozen as well as a meal for one. I'm sorry to say I haven't made this recipe since, but I am going to print it out and have one less meal to think up next week. :)
June: Baked Alaska.
This dessert wasn't hard to make... but it sure was time consuming. I picked it because who doesn't like pound cake, ice cream and meringue? I also picked it because it is so delightfully retro! I haven't made it since last June, but it's an impressive piece to have tucked away in your kitchen arsenal.
July: Broccoli and Bow Ties / Summer Fruit Crostata.
I have made broccoli and bow ties as my dinner when Mr. #2 is away. This is so easy and I LOVE brocoli and pine nuts. The fruit crostata I loved. Haven't made it since, but I'm counting down to the fresh summer produce this year.
August: Chicken Cordon Bleu.
I loved this one (and so did the Mister)! I also loved getting to make this together. We've made this a few times, it's really filling and different, but still easy enough for the weeknight.
September: Baked Potato Wedges.
I just made these again last week. I'm such a rosemary lover and these are really easy. Bonus- potatoes go with almost anything.
October: Garlic Mashed Potatoes / Pepper-Crusted Pork Loin with Cherry-Brandy Sauce.
The mister around here LOVES mashed potatoes, so we have them quite often. It was nice dressing up/changing our normal and admittedly boring mashed potatoes. The pork loin was WOW! This is definitely "company" food, I'd even go so far as to say this would be worthy of a major holiday.
November: Chocolate Pound Cake.
I loved this recipe for so many reasons. Obscene amounts of chocolate, it was the first time I'd made a pound cake, it's pretty easy but very pretty, and did I mention the obscene amounts of chocolate? This is another great "company" recipe because it feeds a lot and, as I said before, looks fantastic! (It also made the whole house smell amazing while it cooked!)
December- Cheesy Rosemary Breadsticks.
Who doesn't like bread with a meal? These are an easy way to "dress up" plain carbohydrates. I think they go with everything, but I particularly think they pair nicely with Italian cuisine and a fresh salad.


I love that we have some of the same things here. We must be a dessert family :D
ReplyDelete