Sunday, January 9, 2011

December Menu - Gal One

You would have thought I might have learned something from reading Gal #2's post.  When she shared with us that trying to deliver this menu on a holiday was overly-ambitious - I apparently wasn't listening (or reading with comprehension).  I decided to make this menu for our New Year's Eve dinner.
And so I started.  (See above)  And things were looking good for awhile.  (See below)
And then I read the recipe.  Mind you - I did read the recipe all the way through (like thegood cook that I am!); but it had been awhile and I forgot the THREE HOUR SIMMER time.  So all of a sudden, New Year's Eve soup and breadsticks became hamburgers, fries and frosties from Wendy's.  :)

New Year's Came: While the pot of soup when back on the burner to simmer for THREE HOURS, I decided to start the shortbread.
Since this picture is not the best quality - let me explain.  I was measuring.  The recipe said the dough should be rolled 1/2# thick.  That is really thick....I became uncomfortable.  Those are some thick cookies.  So I measured.  I decided to go on faith...and Ina...and unlike Gal #2, when I got to 20 cookies, I had no more dough left.  They were THICK.
The soup was getting there....only ONE HOUR LEFT.  So the breadstick making commenced.  This, by the way, was the hit of the menu with Mr. Gal #1.  He loved these. There were no leftovers. But I must confess that I CHEATED.  No gruyere for me - too pricey at my store - so this was done with only rosemary and parmesan and salt.  Yum.
But if you look at my work surface carefully...you will see a digression from Giada's instructions.  She says to carefully pat the topping onto each breadstick.  Ummm.  I did one that way.  And then I dumped the whole bowl of topping ingredients onto my cutting board and rolled those poor breadstick pieces around until they were covered with the stuff.  Worked like a dream.  Sorry Giada.

SOUP IS DONE!
Whoops....I CHEATED....again.  I looked at that simmering pot of loveliness and checked my temperature.  Yup, definitely getting a cold.  Definitely needed a nap.  Definitely wanted a bowl of that yummy stuff inside of me ASAP.  So out came the bisquick box and in went store-bought bisquick dumplings instead of Matzo balls.  About this time, Son #1 woke up (YES, definitely afternoon by now) and looked despairingly into the pot and said..."Are those matzo balls?"  I said "No."  He was visibly relieved.  Sorry Gal #2.
SHORTBREAD!
These are rich and yummy.  And very, very pretty.  Mr. & I each ate one (ok, ok, I had 3) and I heroically sent the rest to the local hospital for the poor folks who...no, I'm kidding.  They went with Son #1 to his job at the emergency room where they were all inhaled by ER staff beforethe end of his shift.  I loved those.  (Loved them too much to leave them in the house)

FINAL FOOD SHOT:
I forgot the soup!  (It was already being eaten...it would have ruined the picture).
Great job, Gal #2.  What an inspired menu! I love food that takes awhile (despite my earlier groaning) and that makes the house smell so wonderful!  Happy New Year to my tummy!

Gals...I think our next post should be best of show from this year!  Anybody want to upload their favorite 2010 picture?

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed your post! Will work on/think on uploading a best of post for 2010. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete