Gal One's July 2010 Menu
Eli’s Asian Salmon
Eli’s Asian Salmon
~
Evolution Tomato Salad
Evolution Tomato Salad
~
Broccoli and Bow Ties
Broccoli and Bow Ties
~
Summer Fruit Crostata
Summer Fruit Crostata
About my menu:
Eli’s Asian Salmon: This recipe is one that I have long wanted to try. Recently I realized that nearby the Hair Shoppe is an Asian grocery market where I will hopefully be able to find the ingredients I have not been able to locate at the grocery store (fish sauce, chili paste). I’m also looking to overcome my fear of preparing fish at home!
Evolution Tomato Salad: I have to admit I chose this one with Mr. #2 in mind. He’s a fussy vegetable eater and this salad can be prepared in its basic form and then “evolved” to the taste of many palates. This comes from a new-to-me cookbook that I am really enamored with: “Jamie’s Food Revolution.” You’ll notice there’s no list of ingredients – characteristic of his cooking philosophy. I’ve included all of the “evolutionary” steps for your edification, but I will probably stop after step #2 for this menu.
Broccoli and Bow Ties: I always think about color when crafting a menu. I’m hoping the green will lend splash to the plate.
Summer Fruit Crostata: Another recipe I have long wanted to try. One of the things I like about this is that the pastry recipe makes enough for two crostatas – one to use immediately while the other can be wrapped and frozen. I like recipes that multi-task (save me work later!) This recipe also includes fruit that I think will be easily found in July in the various corners of the world in which the “Holy Batman” participants live.
Other: I may add a lovely loaf of Ashley bread or fresh corn on the cob to this menu to satisfy the starch requirements of the gentlemen in the house. I’m thinking that corn on the cob will add another gorgeous color!
Eli’s Asian Salmon http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/elis-asian-salmon-recipe/index.html
Evolution Tomato Salad: I have to admit I chose this one with Mr. #2 in mind. He’s a fussy vegetable eater and this salad can be prepared in its basic form and then “evolved” to the taste of many palates. This comes from a new-to-me cookbook that I am really enamored with: “Jamie’s Food Revolution.” You’ll notice there’s no list of ingredients – characteristic of his cooking philosophy. I’ve included all of the “evolutionary” steps for your edification, but I will probably stop after step #2 for this menu.
Broccoli and Bow Ties: I always think about color when crafting a menu. I’m hoping the green will lend splash to the plate.
Summer Fruit Crostata: Another recipe I have long wanted to try. One of the things I like about this is that the pastry recipe makes enough for two crostatas – one to use immediately while the other can be wrapped and frozen. I like recipes that multi-task (save me work later!) This recipe also includes fruit that I think will be easily found in July in the various corners of the world in which the “Holy Batman” participants live.
Other: I may add a lovely loaf of Ashley bread or fresh corn on the cob to this menu to satisfy the starch requirements of the gentlemen in the house. I’m thinking that corn on the cob will add another gorgeous color!
Eli’s Asian Salmon http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/elis-asian-salmon-recipe/index.html
*Note: The reviews were ranged from WOW to LOSER! I found that nearly all of the negative reviews complained of excessive “saltiness.” I always use low-sodium soy sauce and may try less than the one cup the recipe calls for.
Evolution Tomato Salad
*Note from Chef Jamie: For this salad, the key is to use lovely ripe tomatoes. Pick bright red ones that smell delicious and come away from the stalks easily. Choose different sizes and colors if they’re available, and just chop them up, leaving any smaller ones whole.
1. Get yourself about 1 ½ lbs. of ripe grape or cherry, vine and regular tomatoes. Cut the larger tomatoes into wedges, halve the grape or cherry tomatoes and leave the smaller ones whole. Put them into a bowl with 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Toss well to coat all the tomatoes with the dressing. Pick the leaves off a few sprigs of fresh basil and scatter them over the salad. Season really well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Put a large handful of black olives on a clean surface and press down on them with the palm of you hand to remove the pits. Discard the pits and add the olives to the salad. Mix up well in a bowl before serving on plates.
3. Drain a 15-oz. can of cannelloni beans in a colander and add to the tomato salad. Mix up well to coat everything in the dressing.
4. Drain a small can or jar of tuna, break the fish into small flakes or chunks, and scatter over the salad.
Broccoli and Bow Ties http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/broccoli-and-bow-ties-recipe/index.html
*Note: This recipe got outstanding reviews – although there were lots of cautions about the amount of salt this recipe calls for. Use your instincts ladies!
Summer Fruit Crostata http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/summer-fruit-crostata-recipe/index.html
*Note: Reviews here were also mostly good – but several commented that it wasn’t baked in the middle and one suggested adding cinnamon. I intend to think about the baking problem a little – wondering if a pizza pan would work?
Think my menu is a little heavy on the barefoot side? I can’t help it! She’s my cooking hero (right after Grandma #1, Mrs. #2 & #3!!)
Bon Appetit!
Evolution Tomato Salad
*Note from Chef Jamie: For this salad, the key is to use lovely ripe tomatoes. Pick bright red ones that smell delicious and come away from the stalks easily. Choose different sizes and colors if they’re available, and just chop them up, leaving any smaller ones whole.
1. Get yourself about 1 ½ lbs. of ripe grape or cherry, vine and regular tomatoes. Cut the larger tomatoes into wedges, halve the grape or cherry tomatoes and leave the smaller ones whole. Put them into a bowl with 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Toss well to coat all the tomatoes with the dressing. Pick the leaves off a few sprigs of fresh basil and scatter them over the salad. Season really well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Put a large handful of black olives on a clean surface and press down on them with the palm of you hand to remove the pits. Discard the pits and add the olives to the salad. Mix up well in a bowl before serving on plates.
3. Drain a 15-oz. can of cannelloni beans in a colander and add to the tomato salad. Mix up well to coat everything in the dressing.
4. Drain a small can or jar of tuna, break the fish into small flakes or chunks, and scatter over the salad.
Broccoli and Bow Ties http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/broccoli-and-bow-ties-recipe/index.html
*Note: This recipe got outstanding reviews – although there were lots of cautions about the amount of salt this recipe calls for. Use your instincts ladies!
Summer Fruit Crostata http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/summer-fruit-crostata-recipe/index.html
*Note: Reviews here were also mostly good – but several commented that it wasn’t baked in the middle and one suggested adding cinnamon. I intend to think about the baking problem a little – wondering if a pizza pan would work?
Think my menu is a little heavy on the barefoot side? I can’t help it! She’s my cooking hero (right after Grandma #1, Mrs. #2 & #3!!)
Bon Appetit!
SUPER EXCITED for our newest menu gals!!!
ReplyDeleteCannot wait for this one!!! :)
ReplyDelete