Sunday, May 30, 2010

Gal 1's May Menu

The biggest lesson learned from cooking Mrs. #3 May menu was about timeline. Not ordinarily a procrastinator, I have found myself twice now waiting until the very last minute. For May’s menu, not only did I wait until the last available date in May, I also waited to buy all my groceries on that same day, after work, when I was already tired. Already behind the 8 ball – not a good idea. In my defense, however, I am not the person in our household who does the grocery shopping and because I wanted to make sure I got exactly the ingredients I needed, I had to make a special trip and lesson learned – plan ahead.

My first stop was at K-Mart to locate 10 oz. ramekins. I am too much of a cheapsake and left the 6 oz. ramekins (the only ones they had) at the store and decided my lasagna would take a traditional shape (9x13 pan).

That being decided it was on to Acme for groceries and then home to warn Mr. #1 and Son #1 that dinner would be on the late side.

The lasagna came together easily – even though I was skeptical about using corn in a pasta dish. I decided that the corn gave the lasagna a very unique and surprising texture – definitely a plus! I added some meat and tomato sauce (worried that the men in the house wouldn’t eat it otherwise) but I would like to try this again sometime just as the recipe specifies – it had a wonderful aroma and Mr. #1 had two helpings.

I love green beans in any form – and these were no exception. However, because I failed to “plan ahead” the fresh green beans I favor at the store were sold out and I used canned beans instead! I loved the spices – I nice “change up” from the usual sprinkle of garlic powder.

Dessert: The raspberry jam was a problem. I didn’t put it on my list because I always have raspberry jam. Except, of course, this day. I substituted triple berry jam instead, giving my dessert a lovely pink/purple color. I also decided to use the Pepperidge farm dessert shells I had in the freezer – yum! Gorgeous plating!

Way to go Mrs. #3! Looking forward to August!







No comments:

Post a Comment